What Causes Tooth Sensitivity?
First, is necessary to understand that tooth sensitivity occurs when the enamel that protects the teeth gets thinner, or when gum recession occurs; both expose the underlying surface reducing the protection the enamel and gums provide to the tooth and its root.
Tooth sensitivity is a dental disease that can affect one or more teeth. When someone suffers from tooth sensitivity, a sharp pain can be felt through the tooth nerve endings, which is most commonly trigger when you eat or drink something hot, cold, sweet, or sour; sometimes even a breath of cold air can set pain.
But, what can cause your enamel to get thinner? Sensitive teeth can be caused by the following issues:
- Using a hard toothbrush and a hard grip while brushing aggressively.
- Tooth erosion due to highly acidic foods and beverages.
- Gum recession that can leave root surface exposed.
- Grinding your teeth.
- Post dental treatment sensitivity. It’s common, but temporary, especially with procedures such as crowns, fillings and tooth bleaching.
How to Treat Tooth Sensitivity
If you or a loved one is suffering from sensitive teeth, we invite to take proper care and follow the next tips, which will also be helpful to avoid this condition:
- Brush and Floss Regularly. Properly brushing and flossing your teeth is essential to healthy, clean teeth and prevent sensitive teeth. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently remove food particles and not the gum tissue.
- Don’t grind your Teeth. If you’ve been previously diagnosed with bruxism and your dentist has given you a mouth guard, use it every night. This will avoid you to grind or clench your teeth while you sleep.
- Use Fluoridated Dental Products. Your dentist might recommend you to use fluoridated products to help reduce tooth sensitivity.
- Keep a Healthy Diet. Avoid foods or drinks that are highly acidic.
- Visit your dentist regularly. Every 6 months or less, depending on your oral needs.
- Use Special Sensitive Teeth toothpaste. There are several brands of dental products who offer special products that specialize in treating sensitive teeth.
Choose the Best Clinic to Get Treated
Like we just mentioned, in order to prevent other dental conditions it’s necessary to visit just dentist every six months. This will help you to save on dental treatments since every visit helps you prevent bigger problems.
We have specialists dedicated to treat all your dental needs or solve any kind of doubts you may have about a dental procedure or a condition such as teeth sensitivity. Plus, we have a wide variety of treatments that will help you recover your smile at affordable prices.
We invite you to check our patient’s reviews, our credentials, you’ll see that Dant yog is the perfect place for you.
Give us a call! Ask out team of patient coordinators any doubt you may have, they will give you the information you need, plus our amazing promotions for our patients! Don’t miss this chance, we’re waiting for you.